Here’s a list of some of the most frequently asked questions about MapEngine.
- What is MapEngine?
MapEngine is a J2EE web-based software application with three primary parts: 1) an interactive map extension that can be embedded and integrated into any page within Maximo and 2) a flexible, robust data synchronization tool that keeps any GIS data synchronized with Maximo data, and 3) a map-based connection to other client systems (e.g. customer information/CRM systems, assessor data, billing, and more.)
- What GIS software is compatible with MapEngine? MapEngine is GIS vendor-neutral, so it will integrate with any GIS format.
- Does MapEngine require Maximo Spatial to work?
No, MapEngine is not required/used by Maximo Spatial.
- Does MapEngine require Maximo Linear to work?
No, MapEngine does not require Maximo Linear. However, you can use Maximo Linear with the MapEngine, depending upon your business practices.
- Does MapEngine provide any advantages when doing linear asset management?
Yes! For a detailed answer to this question see our post on Linear Asset Management Demystified.
- What versions of Maximo are compatible with MapEngine?
MapEngine works equally well in Maximo versions 5, 6, 7, 8…you get the picture.
- Does installing MapEngine in my Maximo environment make it hard for me to upgrade Maximo?
No. Because MapEngine provides a lightweight integration into the Maximo framework, you get all the advantages of map-based Maximo interactivity without the tight coupling that would prevent you from upgrading when you’re ready.
- What type of map component or viewer does MapEngine use to enable Maximo users to visualize maps in Maximo?
activeG technology allows usage of any GIS visualization plug-in (a.k.a interactive map) within MapEngine. Currently SVG, ESRI, and Google plug-ins are supported. The major requirement to integrate additional visualization plug-ins is the plug-in must work in a web-based application, such as Maximo. For more detail on viewers, click here.
- What expertise is required to install/configure MapEngine?
activeG provides the installation and configuration of our solution.
I was with some friends recently who have a very flexible son. He showed me his array of Gumby-like moves that would make most inflexible adults wince. He reminded me how limber kids are—both figuratively and literally. And in a world where things change quickly, flexibility is king for kids and for businesses. Continue reading