Here’s a list of some of the most frequently asked questions about MapEngine.
- What is MapEngine?
MapEngine is a J2EE web-based software application with three primary parts: 1) an interactive map extension that can be embedded and integrated into any page within Maximo and 2) a flexible, robust data synchronization tool that keeps any GIS data synchronized with Maximo data, and 3) a map-based connection to other client systems (e.g. customer information/CRM systems, assessor data, billing, and more.)
- What GIS software is compatible with MapEngine? MapEngine is GIS vendor-neutral, so it will integrate with any GIS format.
- Does MapEngine require Maximo Spatial to work?
No, MapEngine is not required/used by Maximo Spatial.
- Does MapEngine require Maximo Linear to work?
No, MapEngine does not require Maximo Linear. However, you can use Maximo Linear with the MapEngine, depending upon your business practices.
- Does MapEngine provide any advantages when doing linear asset management?
Yes! For a detailed answer to this question see our post on Linear Asset Management Demystified.
- What versions of Maximo are compatible with MapEngine?
MapEngine works equally well in Maximo versions 5, 6, 7, 8…you get the picture.
- Does installing MapEngine in my Maximo environment make it hard for me to upgrade Maximo?
No. Because MapEngine provides a lightweight integration into the Maximo framework, you get all the advantages of map-based Maximo interactivity without the tight coupling that would prevent you from upgrading when you’re ready.
- What type of map component or viewer does MapEngine use to enable Maximo users to visualize maps in Maximo?
activeG technology allows usage of any GIS visualization plug-in (a.k.a interactive map) within MapEngine. Currently SVG, ESRI, and Google plug-ins are supported. The major requirement to integrate additional visualization plug-ins is the plug-in must work in a web-based application, such as Maximo. For more detail on viewers, click here.
- What expertise is required to install/configure MapEngine?
activeG provides the installation and configuration of our solution.
I was with some friends recently who have a very flexible son. He showed me his array of Gumby-like moves that would make most inflexible adults wince. He reminded me how limber kids are—both figuratively and literally. And in a world where things change quickly, flexibility is king for kids and for businesses. Continue reading
With or without Maximo Linear, MapEngine puts linear in reach.
For departments of transportation, rail companies, pipeline operators, water utilities using Maximo, it’s often necessary to generate a work order that covers portions of assets. However, the work that needs to be done may not fit one-to-one with the segments drawn in GIS. This is where MapEngine helps, no matter if your company is using Maximo Linear or not. Continue reading